Other Questions About Health Insurance

Can I deduct my health insurance premiums on my income tax return?

If you are self-employed you can deduct your health insurance premiums. However, if you work for an employer who provides health insurance, you cannot deduct the premiums or portion of your premium that your employer pays, only the portion of the premium that you contribute.

Can I deduct the medical expenses that my insurance does not cover on my income tax return?

Yes, you can deduct the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income. You cannot include any medical and dental expenses paid by the plan or by a flexible spending account for medical expenses.

Can I buy health insurance if I have a serious illness or a chronic condition?

Coverage cannot be denied under a group health insurance plan, if your employer offers one, nor can you be required to pay more for your health insurance based on your health status.

You may be subject to a preexisting condition exclusion period if you have just purchased a new, individual health plan. This is generally a time during which a health plan will not pay for covered care relating to any condition (physical or mental) for which advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the six-month period immediately preceding enrolling in the health plan.

If you are HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) eligible, however, you must be offered at least some type of individual health insurance with no preexisting condition periods. To be HIPPA eligible, you must have had 19 months of continuous creditable health insurance coverage, used up any COBRA or state continuation coverage, and must not be eligible for Medicare or Medicaid.

Do I need to alert my insurance company if I am expecting a baby?

Yes. Some plans, such as "Basic and Essential" health plans, may not cover the expenses associated with having a baby. Others may have special programs or options available to give you and your baby a healthy start in life. Be sure to check with your provider when you find out you are having a baby to ensure that you are adequately prepared.

What if I am disabled and can't work?

If you are disabled or unable to work as a result of an accident or illness, disability income insurance, which complements health insurance, can replace lost income. There are basically three ways to replace income:

   1. Employer-paid disability insurance
   2. Social Security disability benefits
   3. Individual disability income insurance policies

Where can I go for more information?

Here are some useful links:

Rate this item
(0 votes)


If you are interested in a career in the Insurance and Financial industry please submit inquiries or resumes here.

Contact Us

Key Freedom Financial & Insurance Services

21661 Brookhurst Street

Suite 389

Huntington Beach, California 92646


CA License No. 0I03138